Friday, March 19, 2010

An Afternoon at the Movies!

A little while ago, an acquaintance recommended that we go see "Where the Wild Things Are". She said how cute it was and that the kids would love it. So based on that for Family Home Evening we went to the movie theater, spent alot of money on our tickets, popcorn, treats, and drinks and were excited to see the movie. Not even a quarter of the way through Gage was upset and wanted to leave. The main character Max scared him, Ryan just kept telling me all the things Max was doing that I said they should never do and quite frankly the whole show was just depressing. I just kept thinking it had to get better.....it didn't. Finally when Gage was almost in tears we stood up and left. I decided that from here on out I wasn't going to waste that much money on the theater only to have to walk out so we've started a new tradition at our house! We transform our house into the theater and invite our friends over. For our first showing the kids picked "Alvin and the Chipmunks"! We sent their friends a movie poster and Chipmunk Cash to spend at the snack bar! We had pizza, popcorn and lots of snacks!While we waited for everyone to arrive, the girls made decorations for the movie screen!
The screen was covered with the Chipmunks.
They even had Dave yelling at Alvin!
The Snack Bar was a huge hit. Everyone had $5 Chipmunk dollars to spend on whatever treats they wanted!
Everyone settled in to watch the show!
We even had "Movie Theater" popcorn to enjoy.
Overall everyone had a great time! No one was upset or scared! I spent way less on this and was able to have 8 kids enjoy the afternoon. Definitely a tradition that will continue on at our house!

No comments: