Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ryan's 1st Pinewood Derby!

Ryan joined Cub Scouts this year and we have been having a blast! April was the month of the Pinewood Derby! Seeing as how I only have 1 brother, I didn't know much about the Pinewood Derby. I decide to look up some tips on the internet. All I can say is WOW, really??? Apparently this is a really big deal. Who knew?! Anyway, I'm not going to be one of those parents in denial and say that Ryan did it by himself because he didn't. It was a nice team effort between Grandpa Harris, Ryan, Scott and myself. Call me paranoid and neurotic but turning my 8 year old loose with a saw just didn't seem like a smart idea! When we opened the box and found just a rectangle block, I knew we were going to need Papa's help! Ryan picked the pattern he wanted (he's big into the army spirit right now & loved the idea of a tank), we printed off, glued it on his wood block and he and Grandpa headed to the shop to cut it out! Ryan painted it and while we were trying to fix a trouble spot decided it looked cool all scratched up! Ryan wanted one of his army guys to ride on it, so we figured why not!
The Finished Product! After alot of trauma with the wheels we made it to the church for the race. I was just praying like crazy that it would atleast cross the finish line with all wheels intact!
Much to all of our surprise it not only made it across the finish line, it made it across the line in 1st 3 out of the 4 races.......WHAT??!!!
Ryan took 2nd in his pack and 2nd overall. It was a super fun night and we had a great time working together to make this all happen! Now we are on to district......here we go again! I love this scout thing!!!

1 comment:

Bruce Almighty said...

Thats a pretty sweet and ambitious design. Is that regulation hieght?
I've had 2 scouts and have done 4 cars so far. Nothing too crazy or illegal yet. Did have my latest one take 2nd, so that was cool.