We love to go camping! Any chance we can get away, we pack up the trailer and head out! Grandma and Grandpa Harris bought a trailer to join us. We decided to go up in the Uintas, stay close to home and enjoy our "backyard". We were suppose to go up Friday night but thanks to a great case of strep throat that I contracted from who knows where, we postponed the trip until Saturday night. Scott made an arrest right before he was suppose to be home. Such is the life...so driving the trailer up to Deadhorse Campground was left up to me. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but don't count on me taking it on any long road trips! We set up camp, roasted hot dogs, made smores and enjoyed just being around the campfire. Some more than others....
Papa Harris found this cot in his camping gear. Jaydee took it over and this is how she ended up a little while later after announcing "This is the Life"! I have to say she is right! I absolutely love being in the mountains with my family!
For Christmas a few years ago we bought this raft. After a few trips with Scott "rowing" us around, we went and bought a little motor for it. It is so fun to take out on the mountain lakes and go fishing. I could spend all day out there! The kids love fishing with their dad! Nate and I just love putting our hands in the water and watching all of the fish jump!
Jaydee was bound and determined that she wasn't going back to camp until she caught a fish. She wasn't having much luck in the boat so she went to shore with Grandpa Harris! He put on a Panther Martin Lure and on her first cast she caught her fish!!! Yay, we didn't have to stay all night on the lake.
After hearing that Jaydee had caught one with a Panther Martin lure, Scott switched up his lure and had success himself. I'm so thankful for a husband that loves to catch and release. I'm sure fish are yummy to eat if you cook them the right way, I'm just not that good of a cook!
After our fun trip to the mountains we relaxed for a few days and then continued our summer school experience! This time Grandma was taking us to Hawaii. We were having a Luau with Lilo! Braidie greeted us at the door with our leis!
We were then invited in to the tropical paradise!
My cute little Hawaiian boy! Nate is sporting a great tan from being out on the boat.
We made mats to sit on. The kids learned how to weave and how to create a pattern.
The purpose of the Lula was to teach about our five senses. Gage reached in the box to "touch" the mystery item. The kids were suppose to try to guess what was hiding in the box.
It was a Banana!
Next we touched a coconut to find out whether it was smooth or rough! The kids all agreed, it was rough.
Grapefruit - Smooth
The next sense was "taste". The kids all tasted a lemon, orange, grapefruit, kiwi, fresh pineapple, and coconut! I was especially proud of my kids for trying everything. So not like Ryan!
We had a great time coring out the pineapple. It was delicious!
After the pineapple the kids were trying to figure how we could get the coconut open. Jaydee tried squeezing it - that didn't work! Grandma tried cutting it with a knife - that didn't work!
Gage tried hitting it with a hammer - that didn't work!
Finally, Ryan took it out and slammed it down on the sidewalk - that worked! The coconut juice went everywhere! Ryan smelled like coconut for the rest of the day!
It was fun seeing what was inside. Apparently Jaydee didn't know what to expect!
Our final activity was to learn a Hawaiian dance from Braidie! We used our sense of hearing to listen to her and the music. We used our sense of sight to follow her and learn the dance! It was a lot of fun! Once again we had a great time at summer school!
Haley birthday is June 30th! This year she wanted to celebrate with a great big birthday bash on the 4th of July. We woke her up early and had doughnuts and chocolate milk. A favorite Haley breakfast treat!
Next we got ready for our parade. Just a little history for you! When I was a teenager we had the best neighbors move in across the street. They had 2 kids at the time but expanded to 5! We would always go to the 4th of July parade with them to help out their mom, Karen. The parade route is very short and there were always a million people crammed together. The kids would always be upset after the parade because they would only get a few pieces of candy and were always getting ran over by other kids. Lets face it, kids go to parades for the candy, not the floats, not the horses, but the candy! We soon came up with a solution. We would have our own parade in our neighborhood, throw out candy, and then let the kids pick it up. Many people think we are crazy, maybe we are, but the kids love it and it is a tradition that we have started again now that there are grandkids in the picture! This year Haley was our "Grand Marshal/Queen". She and Braidie led the parade on our four wheeler!
Grandpa Harris worked hard and made a trailer for their four wheeler. I got to drive the green four wheeler with the munchkins on the back!
Ryan had spent a lot of time the night before making decorations for our float! I loved all of his pictures!
Jaydee is my "horse kid". She and Grandma decorated Newt. Jaydee wanted to match her horse so we braided curly ribbon into her hair! I don't think I ever seen a cuter cowgirl!
Nate rode with me. We had to wake him up from his nap. He wasn't overly impressed with the whole thing (he was just acting like his dad)! Funny story: Scott totally mocks our little tradition. So what happens to him. He had to do traffic duty for the Ft. Bridger parade-serves him right!!!!!
Dad saddled up Char. He and Tanner enjoyed a nice ride!
Karen and Kelly joined in the fun with baby Xander.
When we reached the end of the street we turned the kids loose to run back up the parade route collecting their loot. How can it get any better - be in the parade, throw the candy, get done with the parade and pick up the candy! Talk about best of both worlds!
Our happy parade goers - now that is what I'm talking about!
We had a good old fashion BBQ that evening. Complete with potato salad, baked beans, frog-eyed salad, corn on the cob, and of course hamburgers and hotdogs. Haley, Mom and I took the kids over to Lyman and watched the fireworks! The kids fell asleep in the back of the truck. I'm so thankful for my family, great neighbors, our country and our freedom! We had a great time celebrating the birthday of our country and the birthday of the BEST sister/aunt any one could ask for! Happy Birthday Haley and Happy 4th of July!
Summer shenanigans
9 years ago
1 comment:
ok so I think you are the most amazing mom. Summer school, parades, etc... I really need to pick up some of those creative and energetic vibes from you!
Post a Comment